Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Now Playing: Red Faction II

 Them cliches...!
 Red flippin' Faction 2. I used to LOVE this game, I particularly remember being very fond of the Assault Rifle that you get late into the game, thing looked so epic and felt so good. But that was then and this is now.

 So far I've cleared the first mission, and I'm pretty sure I am now playing the mission in which you are betrayed. Oh yeah, I remember it clear as day, heck, I even remember who the final boss was. But I digress, what matters is how I feel about it now... and I feel like it's a bit dated. I've grown too comfortable with what FPS games have become, this harkens from an era way before 'Iron sights' was a thing, so yeah, aiming takes a bit getting used to. Know what else takes getting used to? The controls. L1 is Jump, like, what the hell? I took a couple of seconds to rework the controls a bit, and they are fairly comfortable now, thank god for customizable controls!

 As for the game's main selling point, back in the day, was the destructible environments and.. they are... there? I mean, some structures can be broken, and others cannot, and as far as I could tell, there's no tell or sign on what can be demolished and what can't. So yeah, it's a feature I don't really care about.

 Know what I do care about? Health. This game is before 'Regenerating Health' was a thing, this is hardcore, I love it.

 To sum up: It has aged, but I'm enjoying it. Of course, I've only cleared the first mission, so there's still time before I can safely say how I feel about it. Oh well, time to get stabbed in the back by these bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment